Dry Aged Steak (In a Bag)


This turned out great and I will be repeating the process.
  1. Purchased Dry Steak Bags from http://www.drybagsteak.com/. Cost (with shipping was about $30 for three bags and "little strips for sealing in Foodsaver". Shipping was high at this site, but they arrived VERY quickly.  
  2. Purchased 11.3 pound NY strip loin from Costco. Cost was 6.89/lb so total was about $78.
  3. Followed Dry Bag Steak directions to the letter. They have pretty great videos on their site if you can hear the voice over above the "background" music. My corner seals separated the "outer" portion of the bag partially. I did a double seal that did not cut off the corner and am satisfied I have a good seal and vacuum. 
  4. Placed on rack fat cap up (required) in rimmed baking sheet (just in case it leaked). 
  5. I'm waiting three weeks.
Three weeks later...
Everything turned out as expected. The steaks were dense, flavorful, and tender. The final weight after trimming was around 7 pounds. I probably could have trimmed less, but was playing it safe. Final cost was about $12.50/lb for dry aged steak (including the cost of the bag) Next time I will probably go four weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment