Green Sauce


Mmmmm, delicious, creamy, tart with just the right amount of heat: Great Green Sauce. I just made this for some friends last night. It went over well with The Three Amigos. Great as a dip, put some in a taco, use it as a sandwich spread -- is there anything green sauce can't do? Serve this at Middle East peace talks.. BAM ..hugs all around.

The original version of this comes from The Homesick Texan Cookbook by Lisa Fain. After following her recipe I doubled the amount of avocado and halved the amount of garlic. It lasts a couple of days covered in the refrigerator.

Music choice while making this sumptuous sauce? Marty Robbins' classic,  El Paso works for me. Cheers, Felina! If you hurry, you can probably make a batch before the song ends...tragically.

Great Green Sauce
  • 1 11-ounce can whole tomatillos
  • 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
  • 2 small or 1 big-honkin' serrano pepper, stemmed and roughly chopped
  • 2 medium cloves of garlic
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 cup cilantro (roughly a small handful ripped from a bunch)
  1. Throw everything into a blender. Tomatillos on the bottom works well.
  2. Blend until pretty smooth but maybe some small lumps.
  3. Salt to taste

Green Sauce Confidential: Lisa Fain gives mention to Ninfa's in her recipe. I must also give a nod to the place I first had fajitas and a was served green sauce with my chips. My memory is weak, but I do remember loving it at the time. I have not checked to see if they are still doing business, but next time I'm in Houston I will give a look. Until then I will make this regularly. It's the bomb!

No comments:

Post a Comment