Bloody Mary

Why are Bloody Mary's so popular at airports and on planes? I've made my share and am always on the lookout for a good recipe. My fabulous wife recently gave me a cookbook by John Currence for Christmas. Tt had a great looking Bloody Mary recipe which is now my go to recipe when making a batch.

I have made two half-batches so far. I recommend serving same day you make it. You can pre-load it with vodka, but I like letting everyone add their own. Here's my take on his recipe.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups V-8® vegetable juice, low sodium if you prefer
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 5 teaspoons horseradish, prepared
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons shallot, grated or minced (i'm tempted to try onion powder or dehydrated onion)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, pressed
  • 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
  • 1-2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (up to you)
  • 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper, ground
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, Omit if watching your sodium intake
  • 2 medium lemons, zested and juiced

Directions
  1. Combine the V8, and all the other ingredients in a one of those Rubbermaid pitchers. Refrigerate until well chilled; around 2 hrs. Pre-chill your V8 the night before if you are in a hurry.
  2. Add some to a glass filled with ice. Add  your choice of vodka or gin. 
  3. Garnish: pickled okra, picked onions, olives, lime wedges. Up north some folks add beef sticks, bacon, and/or pickles. Pretty much anything pickled is fair game. 
His book may be purchased on Amazon. It is absolutely beautiful. Great pictures, quality print and paper. It is titled Pickles, Pigs & Whiskey: Recipes from my Three Favorite Food Groups and Then Some.

No comments:

Post a Comment