Barrel Aged Beefeater (aka BABs)




Continuing with barrel-aging sans barrels, I thought I'd try it with a little Beefeater gin. I added about 2 cups of Beefeater and 20g Jack Daniels Barrel Chips to a mason jar and sealed it. I let it rest for about 6 days shaking it every couple of days. I'm going to leave it in there a bit longer and see if it improves.

Today I made a simple martini using this "barrel-aged" gin. The result was interesting and worth pursuing I think. The chips impart a bit of oak and maybe a hint of bourbon-like something (which I don't particularly like). The latter may be just my imagination. It also gives the gin a pale straw color that is not too disagreeable. Overall it was a nice change of pace from my regular martini. I garnished with a fat caperberry because I had some in the fridge.

BAB Martini
2 oz barrel-aged Beefeater
1/4 oz Noilly Prat Extra Dry Vermouth
Stir over ice until chilled and diluted.
Strain and garnish (maybe with a lemon peel next time

Cheers,
P

Next up, Black Negroni



No comments:

Post a Comment